Dirk Diggler New England Pale Ale | American Pale Ale Recipe
Dirk Diggler New England Pale Ale is an American Pale Ale created by Travis Trembly. This homebrew recipe won best-of-show at the Third Annual Sister Carmen Pro-Am Competition Fundraiser. Enjoy brewing your own batch of this Dirk Diggler New England Pale Ale using the recipe below.
- For 5.5 U.S. gallons (20.82 L)
- 11 lb. (5 kg) pale 2-row pale malt
- 2.5 lb. (1.13 kg) flaked oats
- 0.4 lb. (181 g) honey malt
- 0.4 oz. (11 g) Columbus hop pellets, 15% a.a. @ 60 min
- 2 oz. (57 g) Citra hop pellets, 12% a.a. @ 10 min
- 2 oz. (57 g) Amarillo hop pellets, 8% a.a. @ 10 min
- 3 oz. (85 g) Citra hop pellets, 12% a.a., whirlpool 20 min
- 3 oz. (85 g) Amarillo hop pellets, 8% a.a., whirlpool 20 min
- 2 oz. (57 g) Centennial hop pellets, 9% a.a., hopback/hop rocket
- 1.5 oz. (57 g) Amarillo hop pellets, 8% a.a., dry hop 3rd day primary
- 1.5 oz. (57 g) Citra hop pellets, 12% a.a., dry hop 3rd day primary
- 1.5 oz. (57 g) Amarillo hop pellets, 8% a.a., dry hop after FG
- 1.5 oz. (57 g) Citra hop pellets, 12% a.a., dry hop after FG
- Wyeast 1318 London ale III (2L starter)
- Original Gravity: 1.052 (12.75° P)
- Final Gravity: 1.010 (2.5° P)
- ABV: 5.5%
- IBU: 50
- SRM: 4
- Boil Time: 60 minutes
- Pre-boil Volume: 7.5 U.S. gallons (28.4 L)
Mash at 150° F (66° C) for 60 minutes. Mash out at 170° F (77° C) and collect at least 7.5 gallons (28.4 L) of wort, much of which will be lost to hops absorption. Bring wort to a boil and add kettle hops per the indicated schedule.
At knockout, add 3 oz. each of Citra and Amarillo hops. Keep the hops in suspension via mechanical whirlpool or by stirring with a large spoon for 20 minutes. After the 20-minute whirlpool, run the wort through a hopback with 2 oz. of Centennial (you may add these at the beginning of the whirlpool if you don’t have a hop back).
Chill the wort to 68° F (20° C), collect 5.5 to 6 gallons (20.8 to 22.7 L) of wort, and oxygenate with pure O2. Pitch yeast and hold fermentation at a steady 68° F (20° C). Approximately 3 days after pitching the yeast, or when the gravity is at 1.020 (5° P), add the first round of Amarillo and Citra dry hops. Once fermentation has completed, add the second round of Amarillo and Citra dry hops and hold 4 to 5 days. Package at 2.4 volumes (4.8 g/L) of CO2 and drink fresh. Haze is expected.
The Hoppy Brewer is your one-stop-shop for homebrew supplies, equipment, and ingredients. Find hops, barley, yeast, kegs, homebrew equipment, kegging equipment, a beer making kit, and even books on home brewing and beer recipes.
SRC: Click to find the Partial-mash version of this Pale Ale recipe.